We culture our isopods in a warm, moist mixture of sphagnum moss, oak leaves and bark. They're raised on a diet of fresh vegetables, high protein fish flakes, and the rich organic substrate in which they are bred. Isopods are harvested, packaged and shipped the same day guaranteeing fresh and lively arrival. Once harvested, our isopods are packaged in a 2 oz. deli cup filled with moist paper towel.
Dwarf Purple Micropods
Dwarf Purple (or Costa Rican) Micropods are tiny (2 mm max), softer bodied crustaceans that serve both as tank janitors and supplemental high calcium food for dart frogs, geckos and a variety of other amphibian/reptiles. Dwarf Purples are indigenous to South and Central America and exist in the US only as live feed stock for exotic pets and bio-active habitat cleaners and decomposers for insect breeders, amphibian and reptile enthusiasts, and tarantula keepers.
- Color: Purplish gray
- Size: 1-2 mm
- Locality: Found naturally in warm, moist, humid marshlands of south-central America
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Light: Dark, dim lighting with dark places to hide (i.e. under wood, leaves & soil)
- Temperature: 72-86 degrees Fahrenheit - low to mid-80's is best for breeding
- Humidity: 80-90%
- Behavior: Lively, hardy, crawling
- Culturing: Easy to culture. Keep rich organic substrate warm & moist. Feed fresh vegetables and high protein fish pellets