We culture our isopods in a warm, moist mixture of sphagnum peat moss, oak leaves and oak bark. They're raised on a diet of fresh vegetables, high protein fish flakes, and the rich organic substrate in which they are bred. Isopods are harvested, packaged and shipped the same day guaranteeing fresh and lively arrival. Once harvested, our isopods are packaged in a 2 oz. deli cup filled with sphagnum peat moss and leaf litter.
Dwarf White Isopods
Dwarf Whites are tiny, softer bodied crustaceans that serve both as tank janitors and supplemental high calcium food for dart frogs, geckos and a variety of other amphibian/reptiles. Dwarf Whites, also known as woodlice, may be the most widely cultured species of isopod. Their adaptability make them ideal for reptile and amphibian habitats.
- Color: White
- Size: 2-4 mm
- Locality: Found naturally in warm, moist, humid marshlands
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Light: Dark, dim lighting with dark places to hide (i.e. under wood, leaves & soil)
- Temperature: 72-86 degrees Fahrenheit - low to mid-80's is best for breeding
- Humidity: 80-90%
- Behavior: Lively, hardy, crawling
- Culturing: Easy to culture. Keep rich organic substrate warm & moist. Feed fresh vegetables and high protein fish pellets